I found this very comfortable IKEA couch for $160 at my local Thrift Store. It was in great shape so I snapped it up! Of course, nothing in my house can stay white! I dreamt of the sumptuous fabrics I would cover it with, and began to think of the cost and time involved… when I took a good look at the zip-off white cotton covers of the seat cushions and thought about dyeing and painting it instead. If it looked lousy, I could still cover it.
Procion dyes were mixed and brushed on, golden brown first then red and yellow until all the white was covered and the effect was saturated color areas flowing into each other.
The wet covers were “batched” by wrapping them in plastic and left for 48 hours then washing out until water ran clear.
$49 procion dyes, soda ash, etc.
$35 fabric paints (used)
I already had searched out these stencils. The fabric paints were the $1.50/bottle type available at local craft supply places. I did buy too many of them as I had NO idea how many I would need. I could have taken unopened ones back but just added them to my stash.
The project took 3 weekends to complete. Thanks, guys, for putting up with a bit of chaos and helping with the sanding and moving around of furniture!